Sunday, June 8, 2014

Journey to Pokhara

To get from Katmandu to Pokhara, you must take a 7 hour bus ride or fly. I took Greenline bus, which is one to the most comfortable and reliable lines. The bus has AC which they alternate on and off to freeze you or sweat you out. The trip is only 200km, but the road conditions are pretty poor and the traffic can be pretty heavy on the winding narrow mountain roads and in the cities and towns.
When I landed in KTM, I stayed at a hotel just across the street from the main airport entrance. It was 8pm local time and dark when I first got in.

The Greenline bus station in KTM is in a back parking lot area in Thamel.

I got the last seat on the bus, back row, center. The majority of the views were on the right side of the bus (drivers side).

You trip includes a stop for tea....

A stop at a resort for a buffet style lunch (included in trip price).....

view of countryside

view of countryside. unfortunately, during the rainy monsoon season (June and July), the mountains are almost always hidden by clouds. I have not seen the famous Himalayan mountains since I've been here.

view of countryside

And one last pit stop before arriving in Pokhara. This is what the local women's restrooms look like. You are supposed to squat down, do your business, and then wash yourself with water then wash your hands outside. There is no toilet paper, unless you buy some from a local stand/shop. If you are in larger tourist areas, there is more likely to be "western toilets" plus or minus toilet paper.
 Once I got to Pokhara, I asked for the Manipal Teaching Hospital and made my way to the hostel where most of the medical students stay. 
Hospital is on the right at the top of the hill, hostel is on the left down the stairs.

My room in the hostel... yes I have a normal western toilet.


They call these tractors. They look like a pimped out lawnmower engine pulling a cart to me. 
More to come later about life around Pokhara.

No comments:

Post a Comment