Monday, June 23, 2014

Manipal Hosp Protest

Sunday was my last shift at the hospital and I was in the ED. There is currently a protest going at Manipal Teaching Hospital due to a mother and child who passed away during a C section on Friday. As I said in previous blogs, when this happens, the people from their village will often come and protest to show their disapproval. Sunday hit a peak of action, with the police stepping in and closing the main gates and not allowing people in or out of the hospital. They only let a trickle of injured patients past the gate and several doctors and nurses were not able to make it in to work due to the blockade. I was able to snap a few pictures of the action before I felt uncomfortable w people watching me.
People protesting in the main hospital lobby

Police talking to the protesters 

The police closed the main gate to control traffic during the protest

Main gate closed during protest

Police watching the main entrance to the hospital
During my last two shifts, I took some pictures with Dr. Bishnu the Chief Medical Officer in the ED and the nurses (they are commonly called Sisters here). I also got a picture of Brent (med student from NY) and Duncan (med student in Ireland from Canada).
Dr. Bishnu and I. Dr. Bishnu is the CMO for the ED here. And works everyday from 8:30a to 4:30p except Saturdays. He is the only "Attending" in the ED most times. NIght time is covered by a PGY2 medical resident as the senior overseeing the interns' decisions. 

Duncan on left, me in the middle, and Brent on the right. 

Some of the interns and nurses I got to work with. 

A street shot from a city bus on my way to Lakeside. 

Except for disrupting traffic and business, the protesters did not cause much of a problem. The gates were closed most of the day and we were advised to not wear our white coats outside the main gate, but I did not hear of any fights and we did not get any assault victims during the shift. Usually these protests last for a few days then business slowly returns to normal. The medical students had their Friday tests and classes canceled due to the commotion. I was able to hop on a local bus to get through the crowd after I walked down the steps to the hostel area without much of a problem.



















No comments:

Post a Comment